Saturday, May 3, 2008

Baking without an oven

Do you remember going camping? Did you ever use a "Dutch" oven to make a cake. When I was a Trainer for Girl Scouts Mile Hi Council, I used to help with the Dutch oven training. So the next Christmas I asked Santa for my very own Dutch Oven. I was picturing one that would hold a single round cake pan but Santa brought a much larger one. My Dutch Oven will hold a 12" pan. My folks used to live in New York where they would go over to the Revere Factory Outlet and buy 2nds. They gave us several frying pans that didn't have handles. They work perfectly for deep dish pizza and the 12" one works in my Dutch Oven. We took it on several trips with the "Wilderness Kids", a group for families in the Colorado Mountain Club. I remember making pineapple upside down cake for the whole group (5 families) the weekend that we went to the Great Sand Dunes. There are a number of cookbooks that give directions for baking in a Dutch Oven. Think of it - biscuits, cakes and bread while camping! Makes my mouth water.

No comments: