Tuesday, January 26, 2010

365 Challenge - comments about my cameras

I decided to go back to my postings for this challenge and add titles and some comments about the taking the photos for the challenge.

I am always trying to get a better shot by experimenting with different settings on my cameras. I am using mainly two cameras for this project, my Canon EOS Rebel XS digital camera and a smaller Olympus Stylus 760 digital. They both have many different settings to try. I like the larger Canon because it is a SLR camera and I love the fact that I can keep the smaller Olympus in my bag for those shots I can take at work and any time. For years I have used a Canon film camera that is very much like my newer one. Before that I used a Mamiya Auto XTL that I bought in Hong Kong while I was in the Peace Corps. I am going to continue a project of scanning many of the photos I took with those camera both in the Peace Corps and since.
I consider myself a "semi-professional free-lance" photographer. While I have done many photo jobs in the past, I have never been able to be only a photographer. I have been the "Official Photographer" for the Cookie Cutter Collector's Club Conventions for the last decade. Of course they are only held every other year so this year will be my 6th convention for them. I also am one of the volunteer photographers for the Filipino American Community of Colorado and more recently for the Arapahoe County Quilt Guild. As a present I have taken photos for a number of weddings, birthday parties, anniversaries and debut parties. I enjoy shooting candid shots at these events.
I barely remember my life before I had my own camera. My parents were both avid hobby photographers and I started out with a Kodak Brownie Box camera when I was just a child. I used 620 b&w film in that one. I graduated to a 35mm camera by the time I went to college. I enjoyed the journalism class I took where I learned how to use a massive box camera with bellows and film holders. In that class we learned darkroom techniques also. Several of my color photos were used in the University of Wyoming yearbook and one of my b&w enlargements was in an exhibit at the library that year.

No comments: