Thursday, June 29, 2017

Snowflakes

I found mine at Michael's on sale. They were also at JoAnn's. I couldn't resist (you know I love snowflakes!)
Did you know why I love snowflakes? When I first graduated from college, I got a job in the Atmospheric Sciences department at the University of Wyoming (my alma-mater). The Professor I was working with was the "snowflake" expert. We were trying to see if we could increase the snow-pack in the mountains with selective cloud seeding during the winter. So every-time it would start to snow we would go outside and collect samples. By using a plastic which was disolved in a solvent, we were able to study the flakes and their properties under the microscope and take photo micro-graphs of them. I still have some slides with those "fossilized" flakes from those years ago.
Anyway when I got back from Peace Corps, I bought some ornaments and hung them from the ceiling in my dining room. And of course when I started collecting cookie cutters, I naturally bought all the snowflakes I could find (at a reasonable price). Elenna has given me several that she was experimenting with too.
I have a number of books with photos of snowflakes in my library. And as a Girl Scout leader, my nickname was "Snowflake"!!
The other day it was lightly snowing, and catching some flakes on my coat sleeve, I was delighted to see they were the beautiful dendrites that I love.
Arlene

No comments: